Sunday, February 3, 2013

I Just Saw Les Miserables!

Ok, so I knew of the story as a child, because my dad is, like, obsessed with it! But I never really understood the story; what it was about or how it went.  But tonight, with my mom and dad, I went to see it. And, in my opinion, it is a masterpiece!

The music is so heartfelt and beautiful. Unlike some musicals, where the musics distracts from the story, in Les Mis, the music really adds to it.

Scenes that I think are sheer perfection?

Well, this scene, of course:


Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream" after her character has had to resort to prostitution to support her beloved child that she never gets to see.  I cried.

Also, the scene after the battle at the barricade, where the bodies of the revolutionaries are lined up, and Javert pins his medal to that little boy's vest. Again, I cried.

Then, the next scene taking place in that horribly destroyed tavern; Marius singing about his friends and how he hopes their sacrifice was not in vain.


Who could NOT cry when seeing such a beautiful face in so much pain?

And, of course, I love the message of the movie; that everyone needs a second chance, and everyone needs mercy and grace, because no one's perfect and everyone has their struggles.  

All in all, I now understand my fathers obsession, and now I share it.


No comments:

Post a Comment